October 14, 2015

Fastest FAABnalysis Ever... 10/14/15

I have to go fire a guy in 39 minutes.  Tick, tock.

Charcandrick West - $71 to Nathan
$62 to Kendall
$50 to Norris
$42 to Joe
$31/$16 to Ben
$28 to JPA
$25 to Doc
$21 to Chad
$19 to Rook

The psychology of FAAB is so interesting to me.  I mean, it's not like we're bidding totally blind; there are no rules that state that this thing has to be conducted in a vacuum.  If you want more fantasy football strategy and gamesmanship, FAAB is your homeboy.  (And no, Russ, this does not mean an auction draft is the way to go.)

I just have one question for Nathan: What would you have bid if I hadn't declared my $62 bid on the message board.

And a question for everyone else: Did you think I was bluffing?

Do you think I'll be bluffing next time?

Fucking intriguing, this.

And I'll borrow a quote from Nathan, which was spot-on:

I was thinking a bit about how to approach the first few weeks of FAAB. It seems like as a league we kind of pussyfoot around the first couple of auctions before breaking out the big guns. I'm not sure if that is the correct approach. Seems like the earlier you sign someone that has the potential to be a season-changer, the more impact you get from that player and the more you should be willing to pay. Personally, I know I'm afraid I'm going to get stuck with injuries and/or bye weeks up the wazoo later in the season, so I subconsciously take a few bucks off my early season bids as a way to hedge future risk. 
Let's stop waxing philosophic and look at a few numbers. There are 14 CKL teams with $100 each, for a total of $1400 total seasonal FAAB to be spent. The CKL season is 16 weeks long, allowing for an average of $87.50 per week. This assumes everyone spends all their dollars over the course of the season, which is a downright wrong supposition considering we have a freaking trophy for whoever pockets the most money heading into the off-season. 
Given that we have a few weeks of preseason to make a few moves, it makes sense to reduce that average per week a bit. Let's just call it $80. But then again, I think more money should be spent earlier in the year. Maybe early weeks should be more like $120 spent while the end of the season only see $40. 
We're currently 3/16ths through the season. Let's bump that up to a full 1/4 to account for preseason and the fact that post-week 16 FAABs are basically worthless. On average the league should've spent $350.00. On a weighted average it probably should've been more like $440.00. But guess how much we've spent? $314.00. 
I think it's time we get more aggressive, particularly early in the season. Yado gets the blue ribbon.

Nathan is my favorite FAABster, and now I think we can count three people - Yado, myself, and Nate - who are trying to force some league-wide change.

RAINBOW WOLF, I am sincerely glad you landed Charcandrick West.  I hope he's the second coming of Arian Foster.

Josh McCown - $17 to Ben
Sorry Ben, that was a $17 overbid on an old stiff who put up three weeks worth of fool's gold numbers.

Andre Johnson - $6 to Chad
There was bidding around the $5 plateau, and I understand why.  Still, the guy just doesn't excite me anymore.  It's sad how these guys just fade away so quickly, isn't it?

Marquess Wilson - $5 to Kendall
Fuck it, why not?  There is upside there, and I had a roster spot.

Brandon LaFell - $2 to Joe
One step ahead of the game, Joseph.  Well done.

Danny Amendola - $1 to Derrick
Bye week filler?  Or something more?  If Alan were here, he'd say "I like his talent.  I've had my eye on him for a while now."  Fart.


2 comments:

  1. I was willing to spend all of my remaining FAAB money as soon as Charles went down. If I had more "money" left than anyone else, I would've simply bid the second most amount left plus one. That's the 'ol sick-day-Price-is-Right strategy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was both hoping and not hoping I would get him, thus I ended up in the middle of the pack in bidding for West's services. I'm really just happy I could buy the Spiller lottery ticket before he ended up on the waiver wire.

    ReplyDelete