August 27, 2012

Nathan's Random Draft Thought #1

Time to set the mood: two rounds of the 2012 CKL draft have passed. More than likely everyone has five to seven players on their squads at this point (depending on trades and 2011 redshirt status). One team, and only one team, still needs a quarterback. Here are two scenarios for filling that need.

Scenario 1:

  • Round 3 - QB Jay Cutler
  • Round 4 - WR Darrius Hayward-Bey
  • Round 5 - RB Daniel Thomas

Scenario 2:

  • Round 3 - WR Steve Smith (Carolina)
  • Round 4 - WR Darrius Hayward-Bey
  • Round 5 - QB Jay Cutler

Which scenario is tastier? To put a point on it: if someone offered you WR Steve Smith (Carolina) for RB Daniel Thomas, how many milliseconds would it take for you to click the accept button?

Unfortunately for our man Russ, he went with Scenario 1. Why? Was he not keeping track of who had quarterbacks and who didn't? I don't believe so, as he didn't take a QB at 2.11, instead taking WR Marques Colston (a savvy move, knowing that Patrick, Ben and Norris all already had QBs but likely would draft a WR or two---which they did).

So Russ must have been scared that someone else would take Jay Cutler before his fourth round pick at 4.11. I guess that's arguable, but not if you have reviewed the CKL's history of drafting quarterbacks. Given that no one drafted a second quarterback until Kendall took Josh Freeman at 6.02, it would appear that Russ left some value on the table.

Not that I mind...

1 comment:

  1. A couple of points, here.
    1. CKL trends and history have and continue to change, as we've undergone major changes in terms of numbers of keepers, teams, and positions in the past few seasons.
    2. I am not a CKL trendstorian by any means.
    3. Steve "I got a bacterius in my foot" Smith is/was not a unique value in round 3, from my perspective.
    4. Without an elite QB, I did not want to roll the dice and end up panicking on the backside of round 5. I got my guy, and soon after his backup, and now I'm comfy, if not stoked, by my QB tandem. I don't "expect" to have to play QB roulette this season, which won't be the case for many of the teams this season.


    ReplyDelete